top of page
Image by mwangi gatheca

 Your Journey to a New Home and a Better Future Starts Here. Welcome to Canada.


Family Sponsorship Program

Canada is one of the preferred destinations to live, learn, work, create a life, and bring up a family. Families can be reunited in Canada thanks to the Family Sponsorship program.

Under the Family Class of Immigration, Canada allows you to sponsor your spouse, dependent children, parents, and/or grandparents for permanent residence.

Benefits of Family Sponsorship Program

Sponsored family members acquire permanent residency in Canada.

  • Freedom to work, study, and reside in Canada

  • Government-funded health insurance

  • Free education until the age of 18

  • Old age security

  • Guaranteed Income Supplement

  • Canada Pension Plan benefits

  • University education is funded to some extent

  • Dependents can apply for Canadian citizenship after three years.

You can sponsor the following family members if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada:

  • Spouse- Your spouse is the person you have legally married

  • Civil union partner- A person you have lived with for a continuous period of 12 months is your common-law partner.

  • Conjugal partner- A conjugal companion is someone you've been emotionally attached to you for a long time.

  • Relying children, Parents and Grandparents

Who can apply under the Family Sponsorship Program?

Requirements to become a Sponsor

  • The sponsor who is the Canadian national or lawful permanent resident must:

  • Establish a sponsorship contract with the parent who will be sponsored, committing the sponsor to helping out financially if needed.

  • This agreement also states that the person who becomes a permanent resident will take all reasonable steps to support him

  • Provide financial support for three years after becoming a permanent resident to a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner

  • Financial support to children for ten years, or until the child reaches the age of 25, whichever comes first.

  • Spousal Sponsorship: Under several sponsorship programs, you may sponsor your spouse or common-law partner to immigrate to Canada.

  • If you want to apply for domestic spousal sponsorship, your partner must already be a resident of Canada. You can apply through overseas spousal sponsorship if your partner lives abroad.

  • Sponsorship of Dependent Children: The Family Sponsorship Program in Canada allows you to sponsor your dependent children. The age of your dependents must be under 22. If they are at least 22 years old and have a physical or mental impairment, they might be qualified.

  • To qualify, you must earn at least the minimum necessary income (MNI). As evidence of a relationship, you can offer a birth certificate or adoption documents.

  • Grandparents and Parent's Sponsorship

  • There are two options available for sponsoring parents and grandparents: one for temporary residence, the other for permanent residence.

  • The sponsor must be a resident of Canada, submit an application, and show that they can support their family by earning at least the Minimum Required Income (MNI) essential for the size of their family unit. The IRCC website only accepts applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship once every year.

  • Sponsorship Agreement

  • If the sponsor's family member is not financially stable, the sponsor must agree to do so. To make sure the new resident won't require government support. This contract is known as a sponsorship agreement. The sponsored person determines how long this financial commitment will last:

  • Dependent children: 10 years OR when the child turns 22 years old (whichever occurs first);

  • spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner: three years

  • Grandparent or parent: 20 years

Types of Family Sponsorship Programs

bottom of page